AVSN: release of GIPA documentsToday saw the release of all correspondence between NSW Fair Trading and the Australian Vaccination-Skeptics Network (AVSN) from 20 Oct 2011 to 4 April 2013. These documents were obtained under the Government Information Public Access (GIPA) Act.
A supporter of the Facebook group Stop the Australian (Anti)Vaccination Network (SAVN) made the GIPA application, and with the help of other supporters, analysed the documents. The AVSN did not oppose this GIPA request.
The documents include correspondence in regard to the NSW Fair Trading order for the AVSN to change its name, the AVSN's financial statement for 2011 and an amended statement for 2010, plus correspondence in all other matters.
In analysing the documents, SAVN determined the following:
- AVSN (Meryl Dorey) lied to Fair Trading when advising AVSN was unable to supply a breakdown of member versus non-member sale of products;
- AVSN (Meryl Dorey) lied to Fair Trading about not accepting advertising because of alleged harassment;
- excessive expenditure by the AVSN in relation to the organisation's operating costs;
- inconsistent and inaccurate entries in the AVSN's financial statements;
- AVSN (Meryl Dorey) misled Fair Trading in regard to an instruction to include the organisation's name in full on all publications;
- AVSN failed to abide by the instruction to include its name in full on all publications;
- AVSN publicising that they held an authority to fundraise when they did not;
- AVSN misleading the public by promoting itself as a "volunteer-run" organisation but failing to mention its salaried office staff (approx $50K per year) and thousands of dollars paid to Meryl Dorey over many years.
For further details, including the full release of
Posted: 5 Jun 2013
Last update: 13 Jun 2013